Discovering Language

PROCESS

DOCUMENTATION

JOURNEY

TRACE

DIFFERENTIATION

100 Languages from 100 Countries = Infinite knowledge

“The Library of Babel” has an identical twin!  Babbel – ‘the new way to learn a foreign language’, an internet site for discovering and learning languages online.  Books to the computer.  The library houses both.  Language is not only spoken, but written and read.  Can we find the difference between varying forms of language?  If so, is it measurable and how?

Babel =the creation of one language.

I initially wrote down countries from memory and when I had written as much as I could, I resorted to the internet.  When the countries were complete, I then looked at the word to see if it conjured a particular image in my head that reminded me of the country in which that language is spoken.  If not, I read the word aloud.  If that failed, I typed the country into the internet, looked at a picture and I used the word that came into my head to describe that country.  Appearances.

It was also interesting to observe my own change in opinion of the languages in the space of four hours.  It could be interesting to document a performance around changes in language, what we expect from a language and how that expectation is reversed.  For Tim Etchells, the Artistic Director of Forced Entertainment, these (instabilities, changes in opinion) ‘are the only certainties worth clinging to’1 as it shows the workings of the mind that is the cog for progression and development in learning.  The joining of fragments of language, everything created making sense over time.  Infinity.

Word Count: 271

Works Cited:

Etchells, Tim (1999) Certain Fragments: Contemporary Performance and Forced Entertainment, Oxon and USA: Routledge, p.23.

1. Etchells 1999 p. 23 []
Posted: January 29th, 2013
Categories: Borges, Early Research, Les dames des livres, Library
Tags: ,
Comments: No Comments.

© 2017 Babel. Hosted by University of Lincoln Blogs.