You say jump. I say how high?

A violation of space can lead people to react in numerous ways and what we achieved today was to test how far we could go in a place where anything theatrical could almost be a taboo. Today we were each given a set of headphones and through them we received specific instructions varying from subtle to obvious. Walking around the library attempting to appear like a typical library student was hard when you were expecting an instruction at any moment, and not knowing what it would be, was almost a rush of willingness to do anything.

Image
Abigail Perry, 31/01/2013

This activity enabled us to forget about the people around us but to instead focus on the space. To inhabit it in a spontaneous and creative way. The reason this is so beneficial to us is due to it’s ‘out there’ style and how we can become so unaware of the real world and simply become absorbed in this new world where we are the people in charge, we can do anything, regardless of what reactions we receive from the public.

As I walked I observed many of the students sitting at computers either working quietly or making idle chit chat to friends or nearby students. I felt like an intruder, like everyone in the library meant to be there where as I was simply there for a complete opposite reason however it is this very part of the task that I liked, being an intruder although the public were aware of me, how could I do this again without being seen or heard, what if I was hidden without hiding?

As Borges himself writes “Man, the imperfect librarian”1 and that we are all librarians of the library. I like to think there is another meaning to the word ‘librarian’, maybe that they can see everything, hear everything and know everything. If the library of Babel is infinite then the knowledge of the librarian is infinite. The library of Babel was filled with “inexhaustible stairways for the traveller and latrines for the seated librarian”2 and from this I am able to get an idea of making the librarian a physical being. If the librarian is ‘man’ and is omniscient (all – knowing) then how could this be presented. The idea I would like to follow is to focus on this librarian and the idea of his intrusion in the library. Reflecting back to my last post I am also curious as to whether I can combine my ideas of recreating an unreadable book with my development into the human librarian.

1. Borges, J. L (2000) The Library of Babel, New Hampshire: David R. Godine []
  2. Borges, J. L (2000) The Library of Babel, New Hampshire: David R. Godine []
Posted: January 31st, 2013
Categories: Babel: Lost Words, Borges, Early Research, Uncategorized
Tags: , ,
Comments: 1 Comment.
Comments
    Comment fromdheal - June 29, 2017 at 5:44 pm      Reply

wonderful way to put it..

© 2017 Babel. Hosted by University of Lincoln Blogs.