The Recording Process

Over the last few days, I have been putting the finishing touches to my ‘script’ and have now begun to record the audio for it. Although I was given a tutorial in the program I am using to create the piece, I have been struggling with certain aspects of it.

I had decided to set the spoken piece on top of a musical accompaniment, and after choosing which piece to use (I have decided upon In a Time Lapse by Leudovico Einaudi, purely for its melancholy and haunting feel) set about putting the music as a track under the speech. It’s harder than I originally thought. Once I finally figured out how to add the track, I realised that the music was so loud that the speech could not be heard over the top of it, though 3 frantic phone calls later and I resolved the problem, simply by clicking the volume button next to the track. I then realised that due to the length of the track, the program had ‘zoomed out’ to fit the whole track onto one screen, though because the track was roughly six times the length of the recorded speech, I was not able to click on parts of the speech track that I needed to edit. After eventually finding the zoom out button, I set about editing the piece, overcoming small obstacles along the way.

Once I had finished the track, and was happy with it, I downloaded it and set off to the library to do a trial run. I chose to do this late at night so as to avoid crowds of people and strange looks.

When I was happy with the length and effect of the piece, I set about uploading it onto YouTube and Soundcloud, though quickly encountered a big problem.

In order to upload onto YouTube, I had to change the file from audio to video, and managed to do this quite quickly. Upon trying to upload it however, I was told that it was not in the correct format for the site and forwarded to a page that could change it for me. Half way through the hour and a half process, my laptop ran out of steam and shut down, meaning that I had to go through the entire process again; though this time I wasn’t met with any obstacles. When the file had been converted, I uploaded it onto YouTube, only to be met with

Blog picture

01/05/2013

Slight confusion followed, as I was able to open the page on my iPad and phone, but was repeatedly met with the above sight when trying to access it on my laptop. After sending the link to a number of people, all of whom accessed it with ease, I decided it was just a problem with my laptop and got on with uploading the file to soundcloud which didn’t present any problems.

Files uploaded, I can do nothing but buy an unnecessary amount of white masks and wait.

Posted: May 13th, 2013
Categories: Identity - Becca Baines, Library, Performance Art
Tags:
Comments: 1 Comment.
Comments
    Comment frompaid per upload - June 28, 2013 at 2:53 am      Reply

    What i do not realize is actually how you are not actually
    a lot more smartly-favored than you may be now. You’re so intelligent. You realize therefore considerably when it comes to this subject, produced me in my opinion imagine it from a lot of varied angles. Its like men and women aren’t
    fascinated unless it is one thing to accomplish with Woman gaga!
    Your individual stuffs excellent. All the time deal with it up!













© 2017 Babel. Hosted by University of Lincoln Blogs.